Saturday 9 November 2013

COP3//PLANNING QUESTIONS FOR POSTER GUIDE TOUR//OUGD601

Tom Cavanagh has replied to the email I sent:


Hi Kate,
You can e-mail me the questions and I will try and answer them.
Cheers
Tom

I now need to think of some planned and structured questions that are directed at my COP3 question but must also consider Tom's area of expertise within Transport for London design (mostly poster art)
key question: 'How has the iconic design of the Underground contributed to London as a major world city?'

questions:
Hi Tom,

Im at the early stages of developing some of my research and varied primary research would really further my investigation.  I'm basically looking for some evidence in terms of artwork/posters that could help answer my main question which is:

'How has the iconic design of the Underground contributed to the success of London as a major world city?' so any response from you is a quote from an informed, reliable source which would really help.

I've tried to formulate two questions that could work with my dissertation

1. Do you think the posters/artwork of London Underground have contributed or helped raise the profile of London as a major world city?

2. To your knowledge have other underground systems used or imitated London's revolutionary graphics to promote their own subterranean transport systems? 

I don't know if these are perhaps too broad to answer?  Or if I need to direct it more to a specific piece of artwork/poster for the question to be more structured for you to answer?

Thanks for your time,

Kathryn

toms reply:
Hi Kathryn
 
My answers are below
 
1. Do you think the posters/artwork of London Underground have contributed or helped raise the profile of London as a major world city?
 
I do not think the LU posters alone have but the combination of LU Art and Industry could have raised the profile in a small way.
 
2. To your knowledge have other underground systems used or imitated London's revolutionary graphics to promote their own subterranean transport systems? 
 
No Other Underground company have used posters extensively like the LU have.
 
Regards
 
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment