Thursday 2 January 2014

COP3//EMAILING ART ON THE UNDERGROUND FOR PRIMARY RESEARCH//OUGD601

EMAILING ART ON THE UNDERGROUND
I thought it would be useful to try and contact someone from Art on the Underground to get some information about how design is seen within the company today.  This was the email I put together:




Hi,
My name is Kathryn Brooks and I am currently in my final year studying BA Hons Graphic Design. For my dissertation I am looking at how the design has contributed to the success of the London Underground. 
I was wondering if it was possible for me to talk to someone about the importance of art and the underground, and how the design element of the London Underground is still an important and relevant part of the company and its image today.  It has always had a strong link with design, which has led right up until the present day. I was hoping I could get some information about the style of design transformation from the past to present day and how the designs have adapted to suit the relevance of a contemporary audience.  It would also be really helpful to get a statement about how any contemporary projects and art work that has been put together by Art on The Underground has contributed to the success of the Underground or what impact it has had on the public.

Thanks very much for your time, 
Happy New Year!
Kathryn Brooks
REPLY:
Dear Kathryn, 
I would advise looking at the following book;
Platform for Art; Art on the Underground by Alex Coles and Tamsin Dillon
I am also happy to send you some of our current leaflets for recent projects if you email me your address.
There are also titles about poster design etc.
Hope this helps a little,
Best of luck with your dissertation.
Kind Regards,
Polly

No comments:

Post a Comment